Streets Rip Awareness Demonstrations
Beachgoers will again be given a valuable lesson in surf safety during the summer holidays when surf lifesavers release fluoro dye into the surf to highlight rip current movements at various Central Coast Beaches.
Rips are currently the number one cause of coastal drowning, yet most beach goers are unaware of the dangers of rips, how to spot them and what to do if they are caught in one.
The Streets Rip Awareness Demonstration Events are part of SLSCC’s strategy to improve beachgoers understanding of rips and build better community surf awareness in order to reduce coastal injuries and drowning along our coastline.
SLSCC will conduct numerous Streets Rip Awareness Demonstrations at various beaches this summer with dye being released into the water as part of the safety campaign, giving swimmers and onlookers an opportunity to develop a greater awareness of rip currents. Lifesavers will be handing out educational flyers, and will also provide rescue demonstrations and commentary as part of these events.
The dates and venues are as follows:
- SUNDAY 17th December 2017 – MacMasters Beach @ 5.00pm
- SATURDAY 23rd December 2017 – North Avoca @ 1.00pm
- SUNDAY 31st December 2017 – Soldiers Beach @ 10.00am
- MONDAY 1st January 2018 – Avoca @ 1.30pm
- SUNDAY 14th January 2018 – Wamberal @ 11.00am
- FRIDAY 26th January 2018 – The Entrance @ 11.00am