Our Next Generation
Our youth members are a very important element to our movement and ensuring we can continue to deliver water safety and community education in the future.
To support our members in developing their skills and engage them through the movement our 15 surf clubs run the infamous nipper program. As Nippers age out of Nippers SLSCC supports their transition into beach patrols and education through the Rookie Program and our Youth Leadership Programs.
Surf Life Saving offers many opportunities to its members and their families. Our Junior Activities Program or ‘Nippers’ is a great opportunity for families to become involved in Surf Life Saving. More importantly, however, Nippers teaches kids how they can help themselves and their friends stay safe at the beach while having heaps of fun along the way.
SLSCC junior activities cater for more than 3200 young surf lifesavers. Making up over one third of our membership, nippers are not only our future but they are our ‘now’.
Some of the aims of the Nippers program include;
• Staying safe at the beach
• Develop surf safety and awareness skills
• Develop skills in surf sports
• Encourage personal development and leadership skills, including teamwork and improving self confidence
• Increased awareness of Surf Life Saving opportunities
• Deliver the opportunity for growth in a controlled environment
• Use surf sports skills in competition
• Make new friends
• Have fun!
For more information on joining a club or Nippers contact your local surf life saving club and ask about their Nippers program.
Surf Life Saving introduced the Rookie Lifesaver Program during the 1993/1994 season. The Program was developed to assist with the education and retention of our 12 – 14 year old members through a structured development program. The Rookie Lifesaver Program is aimed at developing our future surf lifesavers in the areas of surf education, beach management and related career paths within the surf life saving movement.
The Rookie Lifesaver Program has been developed for youth in U13-U14 age groups. Every Rookie is matched to a “Patrol Buddy” who will guide their development throughout the program. The experience to work with knowledgeable and qualified lifesavers to be accepted as an integrated part of a team in the patrol environment, which will ensure each of our Rookies undergoes the best training experience. The opportunities and experiences our Rookies receive will provide a positive footing for future development and training.
Aims of the Rookie Lifesaver Program
• Develop the hands on surf lifesaving skills of young members
• Provide a transition and bridge the gap between the nipper and senior lifesaving ranks
• Provide a structured career path in surf lifesaving
• Develop strong ties between Senior and Junior Members as a result of involvement in this program
• Club patrols will become more efficient as patrol members become involved with the development of juniors whilst on patrol.
• Understand the surf lifesaving philosophy
• Encouragement to complete the Surf Rescue Certificate, and ability to gain the Bronze Medallion (Cert II Public Safety – Aquatic Rescue).
Our Youth Programs are designed to develop and build leadership skills within the young lifesavers on the Central Coast.
The youth programs starts at the U/13s and offers something to members till the early twenties.